Becoming a childminder

Who is a childminder?

Someone registered to provide paid childcare from their own home for children under 8 years old. They usually work alone or with up to two other childminders. You don’t need any prior qualifications or experience to set yourself up as a childminder. All you’ll need is to complete a registration process that ensures safety and quality of care for the children you’ll look after

Our companionship services

With quality companionship services, tailored to your own wants and needs, you can live a fulfilling and independent life. This package of companion care can include almost anything that isn’t medical or personal care.

You must register as a childminder if all of the following apply:
  • you’ll be paid to care for someone else’s children
  • the children are under 8 years old
  • the care lasts over 2 hours on any day
  • you’re working from domestic premises, usually your own home.
  • DBS Criminal Record Check

    You, anyone associated with your business, and anyone you live with, needs a criminal record check.

  • Health Declaration Form

    You’ll need to complete a Health Declaration form that is signed off by your doctor.

  • Childminder Training: You must complete essential training that proves you understand the needs of the children you’ll support.

  • First Aid Training: You must complete a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course to ensure the safety of the children in your care.

  • Early Years Register: If you’ll be looking after children aged 0-5 you’ll need to apply to the Early Years Register.

  • Childcare Register:  If you plan to look after children aged 5 and over you’ll need to apply to the Childcare Register.

  • Guidance for preparing for your visit: If you’re joining the Early Years Register Ofsted will arrange a home visit.

  • Risk assess your home and garden: Ofsted will check to ensure your home and garden is suitable and safe for the children in your care.

  • Register with HMRC: As you’ll be self employed you’ll need to register with HMRC for tax & insurance purposes.

  • Register to hold personal data: Due to Data Protection Laws you may need to register with the Information Commissioner’s Office.

  • Secure the nessessary insurance: You’ll need Public Liability Insurance and to check you’re still covered for your home and car insurance.

5 steps to Ofsted registration

Although registering as a childminder is a simple process there are a number of steps you’ll need to complete.

Pre-registration checklist

In order to complete registration you’ll need the following:

DBS checks: For you and anyone you’ll be working or living with.

Training Certificates: For essential childcare and first aid training.

Healthcare Declaration Form: Shared with and approved by your doctor.

For Ofsted to share legal documents.

A personal email address: That’s private and isn’t shared with others.

Referee contact details: Who’ve given permission to support your application.